This article and a few others I have written recently about Joe Pizzillo’s statements about the mall are NOT about the mall. They are about DISHONESTY in your LOCAL GOVERNMENT, the city of Goodyear, AZ.
Here is what Goodyear Vice Mayor Joe Pizzillo said in an interview with Viva Magazine a few weeks ago:
“I was just at a meeting where the developer assured us that the mall would open by the end of 2016.”
As soon as I read it, I realized it could not be true, so I sent a message to Macerich, who is the “developer” of the mall Joe claims has assured him will open by end of 2016.
WITHIN 24 HOURS I HAD THE FOLLOWING REPLY FROM MACERICH:
Dear Mr. Brodbeck,
As stated on page 31 of our Supplemental Financial Information package filed on February 4, 2014, available in the investing section of our website located at www.macerich.com, we plan to develop the mall in Goodyear with an opening in either 2016 or 2017. We have been very clear in our communication that this opening date is contingent upon market demand and retailer interest. We have not had a meeting, nor conversation, with Vice Mayor Pizzillo as described. (emphasis mine).
Jean Wood | Vice President – Investor Relations
The Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC)
401 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 700
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Pizzillo is still not forthcoming with any answers.
This is not the first evidence of lying and misleading by Goodyear city council. GEOrgia got caught with the prison debacle, Wally told us “the dog ate her homework”, and Stipp, well, you know about Stipp and his refusal of a medical exam (no post accident exam would have never been allowed in a business) for an on the job accident which many years later allows him (improperly, in my opinion) to collect a disability pension while still in his forties.
And unfortunately, we have a local press* who continues to keep reporting the lies these people foist on the public without challenging them. Especially the West Valley View who endlessly, and without question publishes their drivel.
There are only a few major issues in Goodyear**. The mall is one of them. Do you really think all of them (the seven dwarfs on GY city council) don’t know what I was able to obtain in 24 hours about a $40 plus million dollar mistake they’ve made and continue to mismanage?
So where were Lauritano, Osborne, Hohlman, Wally, GEOrgia, and Stipp while Joe was out there misleading the public?
* I don’t mean to criticize VIVA. They are a small community info mag. At least they asked the question.
** GY’s big issues are, in no particular order:
- Money losing ball park and it’s debt which will never be paid off.
- The mall
- The ridiculous Mobile annexation.
- Misspending by an out of control economic development organization which alone spends near $1 mil per year.
- The $12 million dollar building which was appraised at $8 mil. There is more to that somewhere.
- The fact that the seven person city council is made up of two former city employees, two PC seniors and a super volunteer who appear to not understand most of what is put in front of them, the former head of the local chamber of commerce, and a lawyer who may be so busy with growing her small business that she is allowing this stuff to continue to happen.
Filed under: Dishonesty in Government | Leave a comment »