We have an election coming up on March 14, 2017 in Goodyear.
In 2013, Georgia Lord, Joe Pizzillo, and Wally Campbell were elected Goodyear mayor and council members. All three are running again this year.
During the four years since you elected these three, they have increased the City of Goodyear’s budget over 30% just during their most recent terms.
Here is a link to the City of Goodyear’s 2016-17 Budget. 2016-17 GY Budget.
Here is a link to the City of Goodyear’s 2012-13 Budget. 2012-13 GY Budget.
Everything I include below is directly from Goodyear’s own budget documents.
Go ahead, use the links to check my math if you like, I expect you to.
- In FY2017 Goodyear’s budget is $254 million dollars.
In FY2013 Goodyear’s budget was $192 million dollars. That is a 32% increase in Goodyear’s budget in only 4 years, or over 8% per year.
- In 2017 Goodyear budgets 548 FTE (full time equivalent employees).
In 2013 there were only 511. An increase of 37 employees.
- In 2013 the Mayor and Council expenditures budget was $251,000.
In 2017 the Mayor and Council expenditures budget is $328,000. That’s a 37% increase.
- Compare that to other city expenditures to be fair, you say?
In 2013 the Fire Department budget was 102 FTE and $14.4 million dollars.
In 2017, the Fire Department budget was 102 FTE and $16.5 million dollars. A 14% increase. Less than half of what your mayor and city council have budgeted for themselves.
I hope to interview the four candidates running against Georgia, Pizzillo, and Campbell in another post but here is a quick summary.
- Jim Cavanaugh wants to be mayor again. He says he will cut spending.
- There is a former ice skater named Sara Gilligan who apparently thinks the world of the incumbents (they’re “solid” she says on her website).
- Brannon Hampton is trying again for city council. I interviewed him the last time he ran and at least he has some business background.
- Jason Black is a principal at a local school.
Based upon the tax and spend track records noted above of the incumbents, I don’t know how any of those running to unseat them could be any worse.